HFHRC Home Buyer Selection Process
includes the following steps:
- Please read the Q & A to get a basic idea about the selection criteria and application process. Then, please call 802-747-7440.
- Initial Contact – informal discussion and determination of likelihood of qualification
- Pre-application completion and review.
- Formal application
- submit supporting documents such as Verification of income.
- Verification of employment.
- Verification of residency (must have lived or worked in Rutland County for at least a full year at the time of the application).
- Credit check - Click to see some helpful tips.
- How to Fix Your Credit Score. Credit is difficult, if not impossible, for many households to access. And low-income applicants and applicants of color often do not have access to credit at all or only have access to predatory credit. This Consumer Reports article outlines concrete steps anyone could take to monitor and improve their credit score increases the chance of being approved for a major purchase, such as a car or home, at a favorable rate.
Click to read a Consumer Report Article.
- What does your credit Score Really Mean? Click to read an excellent article.
- Landlord and employment references
- Background check
- A home visit is the last step.
Habitat homeowners receive financial education, help build their houses, and pay an affordable mortgage. When they partner with us, they start down a new path - one with far fewer barriers to a better, healthier, and more financially stable life. Call or email us to find out if partnering with Habitat is a good next step for you.
We encourage people who are interested in learning about becoming a Habitat partner to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.