Habitat for Humanity Steering Committee Meeting – 4/27/13
In attendance: Rob Geiszler, David Pearsons, Chris Heintz, Abby Blair, Melissa Hayden, Louise Duda, Dick
Weiss, Sandy Gagnon
Rob led a discussion of Application to date.
The following motions were adopted at this meeting:
Section 2.1 Louise moved and Dick seconded a motion to fulfill the following partnership
responsibilities: Our Affiliate will abide by the requirements of the U.S. Policy Handbook and the
requirements of the US Affiliate Covenant and will sign and abide by the requirements of the US
Affiliation Agreement; will send copies by email of board meetings, financial statements, and board
rosters to the Affiliate Support Center at USSupportCenter@Habitat.org; will complete annual
compliance requirements activities and provide affiliate statistical data to HFHI, as required, by
due date; will participate in HFHI-sponsored training activities; and will establish a dedicated email
address, phone number with Habitat listing, permanent mailing address, and an office for our affiliate.
Discussion followed. A vote was called. All were in favor. No one opposed. Motion passed.
Sandy will send folder of minutes to date to Bruce Rogers at the Affiliate Support Center.
Section 4.1 & 4.2 Rob moved and Louise seconded a motion to adopt the policy that Habitat partner
families will own their own homes, purchasing them at no profit and financed with a zero interest
mortgage and that Partner families will own the land. Discussion was held. Vote was called. All were in
favor. No one opposed. Motion passed.
4.5 Louise moved and Chris seconded a motion that in regards to Resale Restrictions: Equity will be
shared between the homeowner and our Affiliate on resale at as follows: after the payment of all
closing costs and repayment of any remaining mortgage amount and payment of any homeowner
entitlements for capital and other improvements at a rate to be determined. Discussion was held.
Vote was called. All were in favor. No one opposed. Motion passed.
5.2. Chris moved and Dave seconded that in regards to tithing: Our Affiliate will tithe quarterly to HFHI
and these funds will be undesignated and to be used in the country determined of greatest need by
HFHI. The motion was discussed. A vote was called. All were in favor. No one opposed. Motion passed.
Sandy will research and clarify the guidelines regarding tithing on Donations In-Kind.
Members selected sections of the Application to work on with the intention of completion of the
Application by the May 8th Steering Committee meeting.
Rutland Habitat Steering Committee Meeting – April 3,2013
In attendance: Rob Geiszler, Sandy Gagnon, Dave Pearson, Ed Danscereau, Sheila Alexander, Kathy Jensen, Dennis
Jensen, Peg Soule
Rob received a request to have Habitat volunteers participate in hands-on community service work with Hurricane
Irene damaged properties. Also there is collaboration on projects in the works with NeighborWorks. Rob will recruit
participation at the regularly scheduled meeting on April 17.
Rob presented a brief summary of our affiliate work to date and immediate tasks to be done.
Rob received a referral from Bennington Habitat of a family in Poultney interested in partnering with Habitat for
improved housing. This might present a possible project for our affiliate. He will begin dialog.
Discussion regarding our affiliate status, needs, and relationship to HFHI was held.
Sandy presented the following summary of where she believes we are in the application process from going through the
documents on our affiliate’s google drive:
Section 1: Governance – completed and can be found in our google drive - need feedback from Bruce Rogers re needed changes.
Section 2: Partnership with HFHI – This section needs to be presented to the steering committee for approval. I recall Ethan
presenting this section but I don’t recall us documenting in our minutes that this section was discussed and approved. Also, our
minutes should be sent to the Affiliate Support Center (Bruce Rogers?) and I don’t know if that is happening. We need to establish a
phone number, permanent address and office.
Section 3 – Partnership with Community – This section is available in our google drive and looks mostly complete. It needs review
for completion and then review and feedback from Bruce Rogers.
Section 4 – Homeownership- This section is available on our google drive in the document entitiled “Application for Affiliation –
Chris-Rob Revs” – This section has much work completed. It needs review and the “restrictive covenant” document attached. It
needs to be presented to the Steering Committee for formal approval and to be sent to Bruce Rogers for feedback.
Section 5 – Partnership with our International Affiliates – This section just needs review, presentation to the Steering Committee,
discussion and approval. Then sent to Bruce Rogers for approval.
Section 6 – Family Selection – This section needs a committee roster. Much of this section is complete and can be found on the
google drive document “Application for Affiliation – Chris-Rob revs”. It needs sections 6.4-6.8 to be completed.
Section 7 – Family Support – This section needs a committee roster. Sections 7.1-7.4are complete and can be found on our google
drive. Sections 7.5-7.7 need to be done.
Section 8 – Resource Development – This section needs a committee roster. This section needs to be done.
Section 9 – Church (Faith) Relations – This section needs a committee roster. This section needs to be done.
Section 10 – Site Selection & Land Acquisition – This section needs a committee roster. This section is partially complete.
Section 11 – Construction – This section needs a committee roster. This section needs to be done.
The next Steering Committee Meeting will be held on Wed. April 17 at 7pm at Grace Church in Rutland.
Stay up to date with the affiliate! Here is where you will find updates from our meetings..