Directors present: Chris Heintz, Dave Pearson, Rebecca Woodard, Christina Gilman, Rob Geiszler. Others present: Elizabeth Frost
Chris called the meeting to order at 9 AM.
Chris began with an overview of today’s agenda and indicating he scheduled a conference call with Jeffrey Guevin at 9:15 regarding the SG lots. With Jeff on speaker, Dave provided an overview of his recent communications with the HOA. Jeff indicated, in addition to resolving liens on the lots, new information regarding possible hazardous waste is of enough concern for him to recommend a Phase I environmental assessment to us. The HOA is also requiring the developer to provide work on the road and retaining wall before they will release liens. The floodplain issue may easily be solved by obtaining $20 flood certificates. The Directors asked Jeff to quiz the other attorney about hazardous waste to try to determine if it involves other lots. Right now, the rumor doesn’t seem very substantial and seems more likely to affect lots to the North of the development. Jeff would also like to see a signed P&S with the developer stating our desire to accept the lots and the contingencies to that acceptance. Christina moved to instruct Dave to communicate to the developer that we will accept the lots contingent upon good title: both lots to be free and clear of liens to include past dues or unfinished construction projects, that there are no environmental issues to be remediated and that flood zone issues do not impact building upon the lots. Dave seconded. All voted in favor.
Discussion then moved to an update from Dave regarding our involvement with the City and RRA. The city still wants to give us 37 Pine St. We need to make sure there are not any title issues prior to acceptance. If that property isn’t available, the city and RRA would give us one of the other 12 properties they intend to acquire with grant funds. Dave asked Jeff if he would be able to help us as these discussions move forward and Jeff said, yes, to keep him in the loop. Jeff was thanked for today’s service and the conference call was ended.
Chris introduced Elizabeth Frost, a friend that Paul has referred to us. She is a member of the Pittsford Congregational Church and would like to be involved with our group.
Resource Development: Christina indicated she sent 171 emails through Crowdrise and started prospecting her Facebook contacts. She has received 2 donations. She asked What do we need to do to get more impact? All Directors needs to work their own contacts. Chris asked at the Vermont Affiliate meeting if our fundraising must be limited to Rutland County and was told we can solicit our own contacts anywhere. Elizabeth will help Christina formatting fundraising letters and perhaps a tri-fold brochure. Christina said Diane still wants to be involved in helping us with the Who Do You Know campaign. All Directors needs to identify large donor prospects. We received our first large donation. Shirley Miller sent a check for $10,000. Chris will call her to set learn about her and perhaps, set up a meeting.
Rob reported that Family Selection and Support continues to work on intake documents. They could use more members. He would like to see policies regarding illegal aliens, immigration, residency, an asset test, the type of projects we will consider, etc. He asked if we are ready for a project and wondered if a simulated mock-up would be helpful.
Chris attended the Vermont Affilate meeting. He indicated HFHI is working with lobbyists on mortgage guidelines and intends to provide more education to Affiliates. Many Affiliates report they make decisions case-by-case, do not have policies for all possible instances and need to use a lot of improvisation due to the varied requests they receive. Habitat is hoping for an announcement from the Governor by mid October, hopefully a declaration for a Habitat Month.
Chris and Dave will coordinate a meeting with Brennan Duffy and Mayor Louras in the next month to discuss upcoming partnerships with the City and RRA.
The next Director meeting will be Saturday, November 8 from 9 AM to Noon at the 6 Court St office.
Christina moved to adjourn. Dave seconded. Motion approved.
Rebecca Woodard, Secretary
Stay up to date with the affiliate! Here is where you will find updates from our meetings..