Directors present: Dave Pearson, Rebecca Woodard, Christina Gilman, Melissa Hayden, Rob Geiszler. Directors absent: Chris Heintz, Eric Solsaa. Others present: Paul Brown
Dave called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM.
Rob moved to accept the Minutes of The BOD Special Meeting 3/8/14, BOD 5/6 and BOD 6/3. Christina seconded. Approved.
Dave reported he had been contacted by Amanda Reinhart from the Community Engagement office looking for opportunities to partner with us on a project. They previously helped Middlebury Habitat but they are not building right now. Dave will reply to her that we will need to let her know when we are more ready and suggesting she contact Bennington Habitat.
Christina reported finances as follows: At the beginning of June, the checking balance was $146.26. She received $295.00 soon after the birdhouse fundraiser, then paid $80.60 for the June/July telephone bill and later in the month received $1,000 donation from Grace Church and other birdhouse money of $190.00. The current checkbook balance is $1,550.66. Rob noted that today, July 1 is the beginning of the fiscal year and reminded Directors to contribute. Rob is hoping to make contact with Tech Soup and then he can get the computer up and running with software.
Rob submitted Minutes for the Family Selection and Support Committee from their meeting on 6/16/14 (attached).
Rob submitted Minutes for the Construction Committee from their meeting on 6/28/14 (attached).
Dave report the Site Selection Committee is still focused on the two city lots and Pine Street. He has not heard anything new from the city on the grant application. He believes Attorney Guervin is near completion on the title search of the city lots. He still finds some liens and the owner indicates he will clear them. We will need liability insurance immediately after acquiring the lots, then fencing shortly thereafter.
Christina reported the Resource Development Committee has new members: Sara Meling and Diane Ingalls. They have created a preliminary calendar for fundraising. She distributed a pledge form for BOD members. A press release will be next. They are also working on a “Who Do You Know Campaign” where 2 Board members will go talk with potential donors. In October, plans are being made for a bulk-mail campaign to coordinate with World Habitat Month. That will be followed up in December with another direct marketing mailing for those who did not respond to the first mailing. There is talk of coordinating with other Vermont affiliates and involving the governor in October. Jars for donations will go into stores soon. Rob expressed the need to focus on major donors and wondered about involving Mayor Louras to announce our existence. Melissa will make an inquiry. Dave asked about participating at the Vermont State Fair and Paul volunteered to look into it. We know of 24 students from MSJ who could help man a booth.
Review of planned activites and suggestions to mark our acceptance as an affiliate: See Dave’s handout (attached). Dave asked about coordinating the timing of letters to be mailed and Rob suggested to defer to Diane Ingalls. Dave offered to draft letters and a press release. Chris already sent information to Front Porch Forum, maybe that text can be used. Dave will contact Andrew Wilson to help with production of film advertising. Dave questioned whether we should start meeting with area selectboards. Dave volunteered for Pittsford; Dave and Paul will go to Proctor; Rob will take Rutland Town; Chris will likely want Wallingford; Melissa volunteered for Rutland City.
Other Business: Melissa moved to accept the resignation of Julia Quimby-Cohen. Rob seconded. Approved. Rob received an application for a ramp installation and is reviewing it.
Melissa moved to adjourn. Christina seconded. All agreed.
Submitted by: Rebecca Woodard, Secretary
Stay up to date with the affiliate! Here is where you will find updates from our meetings..